Qualcomm and Guizhou to conduct $280m joint venture

Qualcomm has inked an agreement with the government of Guizhou to set up its Chinese corporate venturing unit in the province and launch a $280m joint venture.

US-based wireless technology manufacturer Qualcomm and the government of Chinese province Guizhou signed a strategic cooperation agreement and launched a joint venture dubbed Guizhou Huaxintong Semi-Conductor Technology yesterday.

As part of the agreement, Qualcomm will create an investment subsidiary in the province to conduct its future corporate venturing efforts in China. Qualcomm will join forces with the local government to identify potential investees in Guizhou.

The JV has received an initial funding commitment of RMB1.85bn ($280m) and will be 55% owned by the Guizhou government’s investment vehicle, while Qualcomm will hold the remaining 45%.

Guizhou Huaxintong Semi-Conductor Technology is aimed at China-based companies developing chipsets for servers. Qualcomm has agreed to license its server chip technology and will provide research and development processes to the JV.

The agreement was signed by company representatives including Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf and Qualcomm president Derek Aberle, as well as local government officials Chen Min'er and Sun Zhigang.

Anand Chandrasekher, senior vice-president and general manager of Qualcomm's Datacenter Group, said: "This server technology joint venture is a win-win scenario for Qualcomm and our Guizhou partner and will yield mutual benefits for both sides as we together pursue a very large data centre opportunity in China.”

– This article first appeared on our sister site Global Corporate Venturing.

See more from this Government Report: People's Republic of China

Back

Copyright Mawsonia Limited 2010. Please don't cut articles from www.globalgovernmentventuring.com or the PDF and redistribute by email or post to the web without written permission.

Most read

  1. Benson Hill to grow with $25m series B

    March 30, 2017

  2. STT reinforces Armor with $89m investment

    April 06, 2017

  3. UK to review tax breaks

    April 03, 2017

  4. BDC helps accelerate Calgary startups

    April 13, 2017

  5. Enterprise Ireland allocates $47m to startups

    April 05, 2017

Events

  • 23 May - 24 May, 2017

    GCV Symposium 2017 - London

    Join 400+ business leaders from the corporate venturing and wider high growth business ecosystem for the two-day 2017 GCV Symposium.

  • More Events