GCHQ accelerator briefs first cohort
Posted on 12 January, 2017 by Thierry Heles, editor
GCHQ Cyber Accelerator, announced in September 2016, has selected the first seven startups to participate in the program.
UK government-backed GCHQ Cyber Accelerator has announced its first cohort consisting of seven startups, TechCrunch reported yesterday.
The accelerator is aimed at the cybersecurity sector and was launched in September 2016. It is a joint initiative by signals intelligence agency GCHQ, the UK Department for Culture, Media and Sports (DCMS) and telecoms firm Telefónica’s Wayra UK accelerator, which runs the three-month program and will award a £5,000 ($6,000) grant to participating startups.
Based at the Cheltenham Cyber Innovation Centre, the accelerator will be offered expertise from GCHQ, which is located nearby, though the agency will not invest in startups.
A planned second centre is due to open in London later in 2017, through a £50m investment over the next five years by DCMS to operate the two locations.
The seven startups are:
- Countercraft, a counterintelligence platform that aims to fight adversaries with decoy computers, false data and fake identities;
- Cyberowl, developer of an early-warning technology for cyberattacks;
- Cybersmart, which provides a platform to automate compliance, certificaition and implementation of cybersecurity procedures;
- Futurescaper, a data visualisation platform that helps companies understand complex and volatile issues;
- Spherical Defence, producer of a hacking detection system for financial services firms;
- StatusToday, an artificial intelligence platform that analyses human behaviour to protect businesses from internal threats; and
- Verimuchme, developer of a digital wallet and exchange platform.
See more from this Government Report: UK
Copyright Mawsonia Limited 2010. Please don't cut articles from www.globalgovernmentventuring.com or the PDF and redistribute by email or post to the web without written permission.
Latest magazinePast Issues
Get full online access, the monthly magazine, weekly news alerts, special reports and more.See all subscription options
February 26, 2018
March 05, 2018
March 12, 2018
February 21, 2018
March 01, 2018